Are you passionate about inspiring the next generation of environmental leaders? Translate your passion to action with YMCA Earth Service Corps (YESC).
Program Description: YMCA Earth Service Corps is leadership through environmental service. The mission of YESC is to empower young people to become effective, responsible, global citizens by providing opportunities for service learning, environmental education, and cross-cultural awareness. Program Instructors serving with YMCA Earth Service Corps will play a crucial role in delivering high quality positive youth development programming to teens in the Greater Seattle Area. YESC is a multi-faceted program that combines school-based environmental clubs, service-learning projects, outdoor opportunities and regional environmental education events into a comprehensive model that minimizes barriers to participation and allows for engagement of diverse populations.
Position Description: Each Program Instructor will develop youth leaders through the implementation of school-based clubs that provide opportunities for environmental education, leadership development, service-learning, and cross-cultural awareness which instill confidence, build character, and support youth in reaching their fullest potential. Program Instructors will foster strong relationships, empower youth to be effective leaders, and engage them in outdoor experiences and hands-on volunteerism that increases environmental knowledge, instills stewardship behaviors, and addresses the environmental issues facing the Puget Sound community.
Program Instructors will:
- Serve with 5-6 middle or high school environmental service clubs over the course of the school year, initiate and develop partnerships at new schools by identifying sites, fostering relationships, connecting with volunteer Club Advisors, and recruiting teen participants.
- Coordinate with youth leaders to plan and implement environmental service-learning projects.
- Plan and facilitate regional environmental projects including habitat restoration; outdoor opportunities including day hikes, snowshoeing, and kayaking; and educational field trips that foster strong connections between youth and the natural world.
- Collaborate to plan four regional events including an Environmental Leaders Summit, Environmental Symposium and two Eco-Retreats.
- Collaborate with staff, teen leaders, and volunteers to enhance and improve programming through the development of new curriculum, resources and community partnerships.
Program Instructors will be based at the Cascade People’s Center in Seattle while spending time each day traveling to schools in neighboring cities and throughout the Puget Sound.
This position will require willingness to engage in outdoor program activities including habitat restoration, service projects, hikes, kayaking, snowshoeing, etc. in all weather conditions. Some evening and weekend hours are required. This position may require a vehicle.
Application: Applications are accepted beginning in spring. Please check back with us then!
Eligibility: Applicants must be at least 21 years old; BA or BS preferred. For more information on the AmeriCorps program, visit www.americorps.gov