Q: How much will we work this summer?

Our programs are roughly 1-3 weeks in length with additional prep and de-issue days. For one- and two-week courses, you will have two days of prep work and one day of the de-issue. For three-week trips, you will have three days of prep work and one day of de-issue. Typically, instructors can expect to work 3-5 field weeks which translates into 33-58 days of work during the summer.


Q: I see that there is a range of what instructors are paid.  How does BOLD & GOLD determine what it pays its instructors?

We value your past experience and you will be paid based upon that experience. Upon receiving an offer of employment you will be sent a form to document that experience and return it to us. We will evaluate it to determine your daily rate of pay.


Q: Do you provide staff housing?

Unfortunately, we do not provide staff housing at this time. With that said, we have and incredibly supportive community, and local staff often times open up their homes to seasonal staff who are here for the summer.  In addition, there are a number of Universities in the area and sublets can be found relatively inexpensively.


Q: Where are the all staff from?

 We hire staff from all over the country and it is not uncommon for folks to come from other countries around the world to work with us.


Q: Do you provide wilderness medical certifications?

Unfortunately, we do not provide certifications at this time. We have a great partnership with Longleaf Medical and they provide a Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder Recertification course for us in early June. Instructors who work with us receive a discount to participate in this course. All you need to do is mention that you work with the program to receive the discount.


Q: Where do the students come from?

80 percent of our students are from the greater Seattle area. The other 20 percent come from all over the world. We have had students from France, Spain, Ecuador and Columbia to name a few.


Q: What is the best part about working with BOLD & GOLD?

People often say the best part is working for an organization that is truly making a difference in the lives of young people. In addition, the community of folks supporting the experience of the youth is second to none. Lastly, we have some of the most beautiful places on earth here in the Northwest, making it an amazing place to work!


Q: What is the most challenging part of working with BOLD & GOLD?

We ask a lot of our staff on a physical and emotional level. It is not easy to carry a 60+ pound backpack for up to three weeks at a time while maintaining a positive group atmosphere. We ask our instructors to open, self-aware, and be willing to have challenging conversations with youth in a supportive and constructive manner.


Q: What is training like?

Training is a multi-faceted blend of technical and facilitation skills. We offer an optional backpacking refresher training to anyone who is working with us during the summer in early June.  This is a four day trip into the North Cascades National Park.  For our rock climbing and mountaineering instructors, we have a mandatory four day Climbing Training during the same time.  This training is held at Mt Erie, about 90 minutes north of Seattle.  

In addition to those trainings, our weeklong All-Staff Training focuses on group management, diversity and inclusion, and facilitation skills while orienting folks to the program. That training is held in either the North Cascades or Olympic National Park.

During the summer months, we hold aside one hour during your prep days for professional development in more focused areas.